A South Korean footballer who was banned for life has taken his own life, police said Monday. However, it would be too early to detrmine how he died. It is the third suicide linked to the controversy that erupted last year. Lee Kyung-Hwan, 24, was Saturday found critically injured in front of an apartment building in the city of Incheon, west of Seoul, after apparently jumping off the building, a city police official told AFP. He was pronounced dead on his way to hospital, he said. The former midfielder played from 2009 to 2011 for Daejeon Citizen and Suwon Samsung Bluewings of the K-League until he received a life ban last year after admitting involvement in widespread match fixing. Prosecutors in 2011 charged 57 people - 46 current and former players and 11 criminal gang members and bookmakers - for fixing the results of 15 matches in 2010. The players were charged with fixing games after taking bribes from betting rings. All of them, including Lee, were banned for life by the country s football association. Lee received three years probation in court. Last October, Lee Soo-Cheol, a former coach of the military football club was found dead in an apparent suicide after being sentenced to two years in prison with probation for his involvement in match fixing. In May, Jeong Jong-Kwan, a 29-year-old midfielder for a third-division professional league team, committed suicide at a hotel in Seoul while being investigated over the scandal.
Popular Posts
-
Ryan Lochte of the United States wins gold. Ryan Lochte of the United States reacts after winning the Final of the Men's 400m Indivi...
-
Pakistan scored a competitive 262-8 off 50 overs against Bangladesh in the opening match of the Asia Cup one-day tournament at the Sher...
-
I t’s a long way from the glamour of the Champions League and the likes of Barcelona, Bayern Munich or Chelsea but the first professional ...
-
Jacque Kallis celebrated his 150th test match with one of the most complete all-round performances of his long career as he inspired So...
-
Manchester United and Wayne Rooney have issued a combined statement denying the England striker is about to leave. Stories have eme...
-
Liverpool Manager Brendan Rodgers Insists That Andy Carroll Must perform At His Best if he wants To Establish Himself Other-wise He Coul...
-
S Africa vs Sri Lanka Heavy rain had delayed the match by two and a half hours before South Africa, sent in to bat, made 78-4 with...
-
R eal Sociedad hit back from two goals down to end Barcelona's unbeaten Primera Division record in stunning fashion at the Anoeta t...
-
World No.4 Andy Murray laid down a marker for the Australian Open with a 65-minute demolition of Alexandr Dolgopolov in the final of t...
-
Playing the third ODI in Dubai, Pakistani top order succumbed one after the other to the English bowling attack. However, Shahid Afridi...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment