Wayne Rooney has said he would love to become the full-time England captain when Steven Gerrard's tenure comes to an end.The Manchester United striker wore the armband for the Three Lions' 5-0 World Cup qualification win over San Marino on Friday, and hopes it is not the last time he gets to lead out his country in an international match."If you can get the opportunity to captain your country, it's something which I think - as a player - you need to grab with both hands," Rooney said. "In the future, hopefully that'll happen but, at the minute, Steven's our captain and he'll lead by example for us."He added: "To actually lead a team out, you look up, you see the crowd and - the atmosphere - it's quite a feeling."To captain your country at Wembley is the greatest honour you can have. It's something that, as a young boy, you dream of and to actually do it is a great honour for me something which I'll take and cherish for the rest of my life."Rooney was on the scoresheet twice in the regulation triumph against the European minnows, moving him into fifth on the list of all-time top scorers for England with 31. He hopes there will be many more to come, however, with Bobby Charlton's record of 49 goals understandably within his sights."I'm extremely proud to be in England's top five scorers," Rooney said. "But I am only 26 and I hope I can score a lot more."At the other end of the spectrum, winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain fired past San Marino goalkeeper Aldo Simoncini to notch his first goal for the senior side. The Arsenal player revealed afterwards that his father, also an England international, had been impressing upon him the need to get a goal for his country."It's a relief to get the monkey off my back, as they say," Oxlade-Chamberlain noted. "I have been looking for my first goal for England and my dad's been pushing me, telling me I needed a goal."
Popular Posts
-
India Win Their 4Th ODI Against Sri-Lanka Which Means They take series by 3-1, with one game remaining.Virat Kohli was once again the ...
-
S hane Watson's allround brilliance powered Australia to an easy seven-wicket victory over Ireland in their opening Group B ma...
-
Kolkata Knight Riders Celebrating. Kolkata Knight Riders thrashed the defending champions to grab their maiden IPL title in a nail b...
-
B arcelona ended the match with 4-1 Win against Getafe C.F.Messi who only spend 30 minutes as he was benched at the start but came on ...
-
Pakistan’s jailed pace bowler Mohammad Asif has lodged an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) against a ban imposed...
-
A placid track on the fifth day provided Sri Lanka an ideal chance of pushing for victory by chasing down 270 in the allotted 71 overs,...
-
E den Hazard Has Said That I am A Team Man,made a big impact in his first three Premier League games with the Blues after arriving from ...
-
Andriy Shevchenko scored two second-half goals to spark Ukraine's comeback win over Sweden. Ukraine Andriy Shevchenko made his coa...
-
Manchester City lost its top spot in the Premier League to rival Manchester United after a shock 1-0 defeat at Swansea on Sunday. Luke ...
-
And will likely leave a frustrated Fernando Alonso in Red Bull s rearview mirror again. Ferrari s new design lacked competitive edge in...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment