Popular Posts

Monday 30 January 2012

Barrichello still dreams of F1


Brazilian looking forward to IndyCar test but wants 20th season


Rubens Barrichello has said he is eagerly anticipating his IndyCar test but also admitted that a return to Formula 1 remains his ultimate goal.

Barrichello was left without a race seat for this year's World Championship when Williams announced that they had signed Bruno Senna rather than give his 39-year-old compatriot a 20th season in F1.

However, it was swiftly confirmed that Barrichello would test an IndyCar. He is scheduled to run at Sebring on Monday and Tuesday for KV Racing Technology, who already run another Brazilian, Tony Kanaan.

"I've always wanted to test an IndyCar. I love speed so it's natural to want to try this," Barrichello explained to O Estado de S.Paulo newspaper.

"As I have no contract with anyone there is nothing to stop me from testing it.

"I'm going into this test with my mind wide open. If I leave the car with the passion I have always had as a driver then why not? I love racing."

The door now appears closed to Barrichello as regards an F1 seat for 2012 but the sport's most experienced driver maintained that his ultimate goal is to return.

"There are no more places open. But if the opportunity arises, the dream of competing in my 20th season in Formula 1 is still very much alive. You never know," Barrichello said."Sometimes things change for all sorts of reasons and someone calls up your speed and experience.

"Kimi Raikkonen and Michael Schumacher came back, so there's no reason I could not as well."

Barrichello also admitted that any switch to IndyCar racing might yet be influenced by the vow he made to his wife not to race on oval tracks.

Ovals are a staple of the series, although IndyCar will visit only four of them during 2012's 16-race calendar.

"It's true," Barrichello said of his promise. "It is an important issue to be resolved. But before I think about it I must first know the car. Inside me, it is not clear what to do."

0 comments:

Post a Comment