Popular Posts

Monday 2 January 2012

Rogers Federer wants grand slam No.17


RROGER FEDERER is adept at repeatedly reminding opponents - and observers - just how efficient he is.
Occasionally, the instinct to reproach coincides with opportunity. And nobody seizes those openings better than Federer.
For reasons more to do with professional pride than base vengeance, Federer seemingly went out of his way to punish former nemesis Lleyton Hewitt.
The man in his sights these days is Novak Djokovic. And there is a pronounced difference in motive separating the hunt for Hewitt and Djokovic.
When Djokovic went on a spectacular winning streak last year, garnering seven tournament titles in succession, Federer suffered through media conference after media conference.
Suddenly, Federer was no longer the prime focus of the interviews. Djokovic was. Federer tired quickly of the obsession, holding his tongue when others wouldn't have.
That is the Federer way.
But, even if the man with the greatest singles record in grand slam history is considered to have receded, few have the facility to make a point better - and more emphatically - than the Swiss.
That he managed to state his case twice - both times in high-stakes scenarios - is hardly surprising.
As glazy-eyed Djokovic peered across the net at the French Open in June, not only had his staggering 41-match winning streak ended, but there would be a sting in the tail.
Federer's reaction to the semi-final victory included a deliciously contrived finger wag.
In effect, he was saying: "Don't get ahead of yourself, champ. I'm still here."
The second example came at the Barclays ATP World Tour finals, where Federer swept to a record sixth year-ending title as Djokovic limped to the finish line.
No one got near the Fed Express. He was again in a league of his own.
But there also had been 10 months between titles and long periods of introspection and doubt.
"I think I'm mentally good, right now," Federer said.
"That was also one of the reasons why I did take some time off, to actually think it through, get into the right mental mindset.
"I don't want to say I underestimate or overestimate the mental part of the game.
"But there is a lot of time that goes by out on tour. During a match, you're just trying to stay positive, but you can't always be positive out there. You know, it's just too difficult.
"That's where maybe the doubts were just a bit too strong during certain important moments.
"I think I didn't have those doubts now for the remainder of the season, which is what I wanted to get out of my system during this six weeks' break, and I was able to do that."
Djokovic was one of the reasons for the review. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Rafael Nadal were others.
"Sometimes it's also the player playing better than you," Federer said.
"Jo played better than me at Wimbledon. Maybe not much, but enough just to come through.
"Same as Rafa at the French Open in the finals, Novak in the semis of the US Open. It's fine to respect that. But I feel when it happens maybe that often, I do have to question myself that maybe I did something wrong."
As it turned out, the Paris reproof made little difference to Djokovic. He advanced to the Wimbledon and US Open crowns.
And it was at Flushing Meadow where Djokovic returned fire by saving two match points when Federer, the most accomplished server (and match-closer) of his generation, was set back on his heels by Djokovic's self-belief and lacerating forehand.
For the second time in 12 months in New York, Federer held match points against Djokovic and came off second best.
Federer was badly hurt by the loss, just as he had been after letting slip a two-sets-to-love buffer against Tsonga at Wimbledon.
After guiding Switzerland to a narrow Davis Cup victory over Australia in Sydney, Federer took time off to clear his mind.
The most telling aspect was the need to confront doubt.
This, remember, is the man who has captured 16 majors and is only a week shy of the all-time record of weeks spent at No. 1. Defeat still cuts deep.
"I know I was one point away from getting to the US Open final, but it all happened in a moment," he said.
"I think for me, most important is the reaction I show after losses like this.
"Because it was a tough loss, like you mentioned, it was one that hurt.
"It was one that makes you wonder, 'How in the world can I end up losing this match?'.
"But Novak had such great momentum going this season, you just felt like it was his season.
"But to bounce back and not lose a match from that moment on I think shows, again, how tough I am, the right decisions I can take.
"I also lost to Jo twice in a row at Wimbledon and in Montreal.
"Now I beat him four straight times. These are the kinds of reactions I expect from myself. So to come through and prove it to myself was a great feeling."
Federer, 30, returns to Melbourne next week for a tilt at a fifth Australian Open crown.
It will be two since his most recent grand slam victory, but only a fool would count him out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment