Popular Posts

Saturday 10 March 2012

Winning solves everything, says Federer


At his post-championship media conference, following his artful performance in the final of the Dubai Duty Free ATP Tour tennis tournament, Roger Federer was asked why he had refused to play an exhibition match against rival Rafael Nadal in Spain later in the summer. Federer didn't like the question, not for its sticky content, but for the message it conveyed to fans, particularly those in Spain. 

The world no. 3, who had stopped Briton Andy Murray in the title clash only half-an-hour earlier, shook his head and was ready to tee-off even before the reporter could complete his question. "I didn't refuse," he snapped, "Don't put words in my mouth. I don't want that going around Spain. I was excited about the idea, I mentioned dates I could do it. It was difficult to find the right dates. I don't know the latest. It might or might not happen. They were looking at a date between Wimbledon and the Olympics. I just felt it was a tough date and it was the only one he gave me. It still might or might not happen." 

The 30-year-old Swiss, winner of a record sixteen Grand Slam singles titles, is aware of the power that comes with the position he holds in a sport where he is both genius and great. 

The former world no. 1, who won his fifth title in Dubai on Saturday, is taking it one week at a time, looking at Masters events in Indian Wells and Miami rather than the summer of tests, which begins with the French Open in May and is followed by Wimbledon, the Olympic Games and finally the US Open in late August. 

The Swiss superstar, with artistic footwork and enviable range, has won five of the last seven ATP events he played in, the last of those titles coming in an week where he didn't drop a set, and where eight of the top-ten players made the starting line-up. "In a way," Federer said laughing, "winning solves everything. There is no substitute to confidence. I've played great. It's not just that I've taken my chances. I really thought I played a good tournament here (in Dubai). I played a great tournament in Rotterdam (the week before)."

0 comments:

Post a Comment