Popular Posts

Saturday 18 August 2012

Robin Van Persie New Man Utd Player

Robin Van Persie has joined Manchester United to "achieve greatness", with the striker stating that the club are a perfect match for him and that he believes there is no bad feeling between him and Arsenal after the £23m transfer. Asked if he would like to win titles and European Cups at Old Trafford, the Holland striker said: "To do it again. I'd like to be part of that because they did it already. I didn't. That's what I'd like to do."The signing of Van Persie, who agreed a four-year deal worth at least £10m a-season, is a coup for Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester City were also interested. The Dutchman, 29, says he chose United over City because of their football heritage. "Manchester United breathe football in every aspect, for me it was quite soon that I made my decision," he said."It was based on a lot of things and all those things went to Manchester United. When you have to make a hard decision in your life I always listen to the little boy inside me. What does he want? That little boy was screaming for Manchester United. I have had lots of challenges, but how it stands now, this is my biggest."Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, did not want to lose Van Persie, who will wear the No20 shirt. But the player does not believe relations have been damaged. "I would like to [thank] Arsenal for the last eight years. I would like to thank the fans and Mr Wenger, they were always great to me. From my side and Arsenal's there is no hard feelings, it's just on certain elements I had a different view – that's life. Nobody is angry at me, I'm not angry at them."Now it's about looking forward. I'm proud to be here and I'm looking forward to achieving big things. This morning I had a good [training] session. I just noticed every single one was very helpful. It's like a family club, that's what I'm used to so in that respect it's not a big difference."Van Persie scored 44 times in all competitions last season, and is looking forward to partnering Wayne Rooney, who managed 38. "Of course I'd love to play with Wayne Rooney," he said. "I've said many times before he's a world-class player, one of the best. I always look at players and like to see that they can adapt in every single game and Rooney can do that. He scores goals and makes assists."Ferguson pointed to Van Persie's maturity as a vital addition to United's dressing room. "He's what we have needed for the last couple of years," the Scot said. "He's got maturity to his game, authority, timing and understanding of the game. I think we will benefit for the next four years and beyond."He's a player that every time I gave team talks was a problem for us because he kept popping up in different positions, sometimes on the right, sometimes dropping off, sometimes in the middle, so at least I've taken that problem away."Van Persie's arrival marks a departure in policy for United, who have recruited players with potential in recent seasons. "It's true that we are good at buying young players and developing them," Ferguson said. "We never thought we could get Van Persie, even if you go back six months I couldn't see us getting him. I didn't think Arsenal would let him go, but then he refused a new contract and that's when we acted."I think the point I'm making about maturity is we needed a finished player. [Paul] Scholes and [Ryan] Giggs are coming to the end. I think we were still capable of winning the title without Robin, but he gives us a sort of certainty for the future."Ferguson claimed that his dealings with Wenger had been friendly. "I can't elaborate but it was amicable," he said. "Arsène knew the boy wanted to leave and wanted to come here so that made it easier. But it didn't make it easier in terms of trying to reduce the fee. He [Wenger] could run a poker school in Govan. He's got a great price but we're also happy."Regarding whether Van Persie will start at Everton on Monday, Ferguson added: "He hasn't played much, adrenaline will help him – we will have a look at him on Saturday and Sunday. After we'll have a good idea of whether to start him or put him on the bench."Van Persie's arrival provides competition for Danny Welbeck, who often partnered Rooney last season, and may finally lead to Dimitar Berbatov's departure. "You always learn from great players, and I think Danny will welcome that," Ferguson said. "There's nothing happened on Berba, there's been a bit of interest but nothing definite that has encouraged us to sell."

0 comments:

Post a Comment