Popular Posts

Saturday 7 January 2012

Arsenal confirm Henry return


Arsenal news: Thierry Henry is available to face Leeds on Monday

Arsenal legend Thierry Henry has had his loan move confirmed and is set to make his second debut for the club on Monday night.
The Gunners all-time leading goalscorer has been signed on a short-term loan deal to cover the loss of Gervinho and Marouane Chamakh to the Africa cup of nations.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger revealed last week that he was ‘certain’ Henry would sign once more for the Gunners and the deal has now been completed.
“I am very happy. It was my desire and Thierry’s desire. We will have Thierry for January and in February. Then he will go back to the United States,” Wenger told the club’s official website.
“I am sure during these two months he will be a massive asset to the team in the dressing room and on the pitch.
“He can be relaxed, not under too much pressure and be a tremendous help to the team.”
The Gunners chief wanted to have the former France international available for the third round tie with Leeds United, but it was looking a though they would not make the deadline.
Henry had to be registered before noon today if he was to be eligible for the tie at Emirates Stadium – Arsenal beat the deadline by just over half an hour.
The hold up was thought to be a disagreement with the striker’s current club New York Red Bulls over the exact duration of the loan.
It was thought the MLS side wanted the deal to last for six weeks, rather than the two months preferred by Wenger.
The striker, who played 370 times for the Gunners and scored 226 goals, was stoic about the proposed move.
“It is unreal to be honest. But when it comes to Arsenal my heart will always do the talking,” said Henry.
Once I knew the plan behind it I was OK with it. I am not coming here to be a hero or prove anything. I am just coming here to help.
“People have to understand that. Marouane and Gervinho are going to the Africa Cup of Nations, so I was asked to fill in the gap.
“It is a loan deal and I’ll be on the bench most of the time. If I can make the bench that is! The Boss has a team here already who are doing something good. I am just going to be part of the squad.
“I want to send a message to the fans of New York Red Bulls as well,” continued the former Juventus and Monaco striker.
“I always said I would not play in Europe again. But it is hard for me when it comes to Arsenal. I am not coming here for the whole season, I will be back and I want to win the MLS Cup with the Red Bulls.”
While there has been no suggestion Henry can repeat the form of his best years in north London, many of the club’s current players have insisted he still has a lot to give.
The 34-year-old has been training with Arsenal for the past few weeks in order to keep fit during the MLS off-season and a number of people have said he still has what it takes to compete in the Premier League.

0 comments:

Post a Comment