Popular Posts

Saturday 7 January 2012

Serena looks set for the Open




Injured five-times champion Serena Williams has all but confirmed her participation in the Australian Open.
Williams was forced to withdraw from the Brisbane International after spraining her ankle during her second-round win over Serbian Bojana Jovanovski on Wednesday.
But the 13-times major winner on Friday indicated her recovery was coming along well ahead of the Open at Melbourne Park starting in 10 days."I am doing a lot better," Williams tweeted her 2,384,071 followers.
"Tks for the well wishes. I love u all. Big kiss. I'm determined to Win From Within.
"Being an athlete requires sacrifice, discipline & heart. There is no winning without hard work. I'm about to overcome this."
Williams, champion at Melbourne Park in 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2010, was unable to chase a hat-trick last year following foot surgery.
Australia's great hope Samantha Stosur on Friday was expecting the 30-year-old former world No.1 to be dangerous as ever at the season's first grand slam event.
"I'm sure she'll come back from that," Stosur said.
"I'm sure it's not a spot she'd like to be in either, but there's still a fair bit of time to prepare and I'm sure for her to get over that ankle injury.
"She'll do whatever she can to be as fit as she can be and I'm sure she'll be ready.
"I don't think it means she's any less of a threat of winning it than what she was before.
"I guess time will only tell."

0 comments:

Post a Comment